Coachella is here, and we couldn’t be more excited for festival season fashion.
Whether you’re making the trek to Indio or (like us) watching the style statements from afar, denim cutoffs are a must. Here’s a DIY denim cutoff tutorial from our resident Jeanius, Cari.
What you’ll need: measuring tape or ruler, fabric scissors, 4 sewing pins, LA Mag’s Coachella playlist
Pick your pair: Go with a pair of jeans that you’re ready to repurpose (think: those bootcuts you never got hemmed with a ragged bottom or a pair of secondhand men’s jeans).
Jeanius tip: You should love the fit at the top—a mid-to-high rise and a loose jean that’s one size too big work best to give enough room at the thigh opening and avoid the dreaded muffin thigh.
(1) Turn your jeans inside out to avoid accidentally cutting the pockets. Then lay them flat on a table.
(2) Measure the desired distance from crotch to inseam on each side and place a pin to mark the spot.
Jeanius tip: We’re loving shorter cutoffs with longer pockets hanging out. To get this look, go with a crotch inseam around 1 to 2 inches. GTK FYI: men’s jeans have the biggest pockets.
(3) Next, measure the outseam (the outer seam of the pant leg). Be sure to measure the same distance on each outseam from the waistband, and then mark the spot with pins. This will be about 9 to 10 inches, depending on the jean rise.
Jeanius tip: Measure straight across each leg to inseam pin for a level hem, or get a slanted hem look by making the outseams slightly shorter than the inseam.
(4) It’s time to snip! Cut a straight line from the outseam to the inseam pins. Cut a little below your pins, so you have room to fix a mistake.
Jeanius tip: Fold up the pockets before you cut, so they don’t get snipped on accident!
(5) Add a little extra edge by cutting a small slit in the side of each outseam (optional).
(6) Wash once to prevent the never-ending hem unravel.
Style tips: Sew a wide lace ribbon trim underneath the raw hem. Use sandpaper to further distress the wash and create fading.
You’re now ready for Coachella … or wherever else the winds take you. Pair your new DIY cutoffs with an airy croptop that lands right at the waist of your jeans, lace-up sandals, a killer hat, and layers of necklaces. (And please, don’t forget the sunscreen.)
Not the DIY type? Shop festival-ready denim cutoffs—and more go-to boho looks—at Hudson Jeans.